Tuesday 22 November 2016

OUGD601 - Context of Practice 3: Development (2)

Punk and collage and their mediums of expression challenged what Bourdieu described as a social distinction in values between ‘noble’ taste or “art”, legitimated by the educational system, and inferior taste of the lower class “mass culture” that lacks nobility (Bourdieu, 1984). 
This shows how fashion designers have political power to challenge trends and social order to express rebellion from social norms.

Throughout this process, I bought more clothes than usual to represent the idea of mass production. By screen-printing slogans I was expressing the view of the ‘low’ culture who wanted to blurr boundaries. Everything created has been used with the idea of ‘do it yourself’.
Throughout this stage, I wanted to create something that wasn’t organised and wasn’t tidy and neat. By using my hands which were covered in paint, I decided to experiment by placing my hands onto the clothing  to make them appear more dirty and challenging.   
I decided to screen print on the acetate paper so that when I placed the items of clothing the wet paint would create imprint of slogans on the back of the  t-shirts. 





Mass production devalues the meaning of products as people over consume to the point of forgetting the meaning of products themselves (Jenss, 2015).



No comments:

Post a Comment