Thursday 14 April 2016

OUGD501 - Module Evaluation

This module has been a lot more entertaining and more productive for myself than it was in OUGD401. I believe that I have learnt a lot more academic skills and have become more interested in Context of Practice in general. Although I enjoyed Context of Practice a lot more I believe I still struggled with the study tasks. I feel as if I focus too much on my sentence structure that I don’t focus enough on research and reading. Take for example Study Task 1 and 2 which involved taking information from a book and writing about it. This is something that I especially find difficult. Although I struggled a lot with the study tasks this year I believe that I gave it my best and that I have improved in my academic writing.

I even found myself enjoying research and even writing my essay. I really enjoyed going to Richards lecture on rebellion hence why I decided to do my essay on rebellion. I have found myself engaging a lot more with context of practice and even going to talks outside of lessons. What I found most productive and fun was creating my final outcome. At first I really struggled to come up with an idea that would relate back to my essay. However, after asking a few of my friends and peers I eventually came up with a solution. In the end I believe I created a poster that represented a May 1968 poster in my own style which I was very satisfied with.

This module has taught me a lot about myself and what I want to do in the future. I have also learnt a lot about academic writing and where I might have gone wrong in my previous module last year.  Although I learnt a lot I still believe there is room for improvement. Sadly, I didn’t have enough time to produce more posters using different methods like laser cutting or lino cutting. I also think I could have produced more initial ideas however, I was pretty set from the start on what I wanted to do with my practical. I also think if I improved my time management that I could have got even more body of work for my practical.


Overall, I feel that I have created an essay that is well backed up by my practical. This is a module that I was at first very scared but soon became quite fond of it. I enjoyed creating my posters using screen printing and hope to use screen printing and other methods in the future. Although I was given an extension, my essay and my practical were done well before the deadline and I was happy to see that I was one of very few that submitted a 2000 word essay draft in January. I hope to keep up my work ethic for next year and look forward to creating a dissertation about a topic that I am most interested in.

No comments:

Post a Comment