Friday 30 December 2016

OUGD601 - Context of Practice - Module Evaluation

For my end of module evaluation, Context of Practice has been my most successful and most enjoyable brief throughout the 3 years that I have studied. I didn’t think that I would enjoy reading and researching but actually I’ve gained a lot of knowledge and understanding throughout my dissertation. This project has been most enjoyable through the production. My final outcome consisted of me experimenting on clothing and relating it back to my essay. This was the most enjoyable as I learnt a lot about rebellion as well as different theorists and linguists.

Throughout this module I have learnt a lot about myself and the path that I would like to progress in. I learnt a lot about fashion which is something that I had very limited knowledge on. I have researched a lot and have found it very enjoyable and undesrstanding about: the conception of class identified through taste (Bourdieu, 1984), the creation of meaning in semiotic representations (Saussure, 1974), how meanings of rebellion and order are socially constructed (Lyon, 1999; Craib, 1997; Hammersley, 1992), trends in consumer behaviour (Veblen, 1994; Jenss, 2015), the crisis of representation in post-modernity (Hill, 2005; Boyne and Rattansi, 1990), the links between social order, mass media and institutes (Curran, 1982, Berger, 1972). It specifically looks at Punk as a genre of rebellion in fashion (Barnard, 2005; Price, 2004) and offers a visual analysis of rebellion in contemporary works of Kruger, Reid and Tom Ford.

I believe a lot of positive things happened for me throughout this dissertation. I have gained a bigger understanding into clothing as well as ways that graphic design has been used as a mean of rebellion. I have also linked my practical and my dissertation very well together; my dissertation has been very well formatted and has included a lot of triangulation throughout which is something that I didn’t do so well in last year. I also think I have gained a bigger understanding in language itself. Looking at lynguists such as Saussure I have learnt the important of meaning (signified and signifier).

I did however, struggle at times. Being dyslexic I had to get a tutor to teach me how to structure my dissertation as well as improving my English. What I found most difficult about this module was the deadline as English literature isn’t my strongest point therefore it took me multiple attempts to even get the structure down. However, once I got a bit of assistance and guidance, the dissertation was very pleasant to continue and enabled me learn more about fashion and how it can be used to challenge dominant ideologies.

My practical was done to a satisfactory level where I have showed that I have cross-referenced in between my practical and my dissertation. I have also used much more research to expend my practical which is something that I didn’t do as much last year; last year I would not cross-reference from my practical to the dissertation which made it harder for the viewer to understanding the similarities between the practical and the dissertation.

To conclude, this module has been very rewarding in terms of knowledge gained. As I look back at my journey, without the dissertation I wouldn’t have the knowledge and understanding that I would require to start my own clothing line. I have also learnt more about theorists such as Bourdieu who was a controversial as he linked taste to social class hierarchy. By learning more about Bourdieu it helped me understand class structure and how we use mediums of graphic design and fashion design to  challenged the idea of power through materials and tools for expression. Punk, protested against the excessive spending and luxury materials associated with being classed fashionable, which rebelled to the structures of class and its associated taste, materials and lifestyle norms. To finish, I believe I have learnt a lot about fashion and graphic design and can now use the imput that I learnt to put this into my practical for the remaining modules.



No comments:

Post a Comment